Our sustainability practices.
Sustainability at Bli Bli House At Bli Bli House we are committed to practises which meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. To us, sustainability is not just about looking after our natural environment – it is also about considering the social and economic impact of what we do and how we do it. In particular we aim to provide a tourism experience that focuses on protecting the environment and allows our visitors to travel responsibly, with little impact.
- Dual flush toilets with low volume water flush.
- Installation of underground dripper system for gardens.
- All garden areas mulched to conserve water in the soil.
- Hardy plants and natives are chosen for the garden. A rainforest feel has been established throughout.
- A low energy front loading washing machine is used in the cottage, using only 47 litres of water per wash.
- Most laundry is air dried in the sun, to reduce the use of electric dryers.
- In June 2012 an 4.2 kva Solar Power System was installed on the roof of the cottage
- The house guest wing and cottage are designed with an east west orientation and deep verandahs on the north and south sides. In summer no direct sun enters the rooms. Combined with the thick insulated walls and the high ceilings, ambient room temperatures are easily maintained in all seasons minimising the need for excessive heating and cooling.
- Ceiling insulation in all areas of the house, guest wing and cottage.
- LED globes throughout the house, guest wing and cottage resulting in 86% less energy usage than the halogen globes they replaced.
- Sun dried linen!
- On demand gas hot water system ensuring water is only heated as used.
- Sensor lights on the entrance driveway.
- We encourage our guests to help us be environmentally friendly by turning off air-conditioning and lights when leaving their accommodation.
Bottles, cans, plastics and papers are all collected and recycled
Local businesses are always used as a first preference for business needs, supplies and services.
Bli Bli House has supported the following community activities:
- Sponsoring Compassion Children
- The Baptist Church “Community Newcomer Programs” and Sunshine Coast Christmas Lights
- Community Business Meetings run by the local Sunshine Coast Senior Minister’s Network.
- School Chaplains
Bli Bli House has donated accommodation packages for fundraising purposes to the following charities:
- Yarraman Kindergarten
- Tourist Information Centre volunteers
- Wototo Children’s Choir
- Sunshine Coast Christmas Lights Spectacular
- Bats Theatre • Sunshine Coast TAFE Department of Photography
- Sunshine Coast Youth • Noosa Rotary Club
- Sunshine Coast School Chaplains
- AGL Action Rescue Helicopter
- Keeping Children Safe
- Cancer Foundation
What can you do to help us?
As well as helping us reduce our carbon footprint by the actions mentioned above, you can be proactive in offsetting your own carbon emissions at home.
Climate Friendly helps their customers offset and manage their carbon emissions from personal and business activities and at the same time, contributes to growing the renewable energy industry. Their online calculators quickly determine how many credits are required to offset the emissions of a particular item, activity or event. They have also created several packages that can offset standard items, such as a car or home. The carbon credits they purchase on your behalf are only secured from accredited and renewable energy projects. In other words, when you buy carbon credits through Climate Friendly, you are not only offsetting your own emissions, but you are also contributing to the growth of the renewable energy industry – the long-term solution for global warming. Bli Bli House is committed to sustainable development and establishing, promoting and maintaining a culture in sustainability, environmental and social responsibility within its staff, guests and community. Bli Bli House owners and staff, will foster governance and leadership in sustainability and work collaboratively to avoid and minimise adverse impacts of our activities on the environment and society, reduce the carbon footprint and work towards having a more sustainable community.